Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Too Long...

Hi all...wow it has been a while since I have posted. I have so much to tell you.

First off, the beans are coming along great. We only need three good days of running and we will be officially done. With 2700 acres that is always a good accomplishment. But then we have 2400 acres of corn to contend with...but that is ok, the weather is not such a factor with corn and we seem to stay quite consistent running most days.

H1N1 has broken out in Calhoun County. We know of several schools that have closed. Some closed three days last week and some closed the beginning part of this week. We have not been affected. We are, however, using our clorox wipes regularly. We even clorox wipe down the semi's when someone else drives them. I told our hired helper and he laughed at me. Maybe I am a germaphobic. But not getting the bug suits me just fine.

So, remember, about the carpet in the bonus room. They did come on Friday and it is in. It looks fabulous. It actually looks like planked floor. Really! Because of that room being above the garage we needed carpet in it for sound and warmth. When a friend suggested that print, at first I was hesitant, but We all love it!

On Friday on my trip home from Reading with the load of beans, I got a phone call from our friend Lester. Lester Yoder is a Amish gentleman in Shipshewana. He has done alot of work for my mom and dad, and has made a bedroom suite for Katie. Well he called to say the antique desk I bought at an estate sale was done. He did tell me he shipped it off to another amish man who strips and refinishes furniture. I told him, "Great...I should be down on Monday or Tuesday."

So Monday Katie and I hit the road around 12:30 headed to Shipshi. We got there had a great lunch, visited a couple of shops, spent some gift certificates we had and decided to head to Lester's to get the desk and go home. Mind you this is shortly after 4. So, we got to his house and no one was home. So we went around the corner to his parents home and his brother rode his bike over and said he would try to find Lester. When we were at Lester's a little longer his wife and girls came home from raking leaves at the neighboring bed and breakfast. Mrs. Yoder (Lavina) figured he had gone out hunting, but thought she knew where he probably sent the desk. Mind you I thought the desk would have been back at his place. So she gave me directions. To the other side of Middlebury. No problem, I thought!! So off I go. Well the roads get very confusing. So at one point I stopped and asked some Amish men were I might find Marion Yoder (no relation of course) that finishes furniture. No problem they say you go back west and look for a place way back in the woods. So I find it, it looks as though no one is home. I knock and knock and finally people come to the door. Well, no, they say we only make it new, they say, when we sold our last home the people who live there now took over the restoration business. No problem I think and off we go back to their old home. I get there as quick as I can. During all this...Lester's wife told me hopefully those people will still be at home and not be out visiting in the evening...it was pushing 6 so I was starting to get worried. So here I am with a big diesel pick-up pulling in the driveway and kids starting looking out everywhere to see who this crazy lady was and what she wanted. So in the shop I went and luckily they were there and he says...well I can't say that I received anything from Lester, so we look around and don't see my desk. So off I go back to Lester's.

So now we are back at Lester's. Livina states that she will send one of the girls out to get him from hunting. So we were getting hungry and thirsty by then so we headed into Shipshi. No sooner then we got to a place and picked up a quick bite to go and Lester calls my cell phone. Of course, I didn't get it in time so it went to voice mail. Yes, I am home, come on over and I will give you directions to where your desk it. Great I thought...it is dark and I have to find directions to a dark Amish residence.

Back to Lester's we went. He has this small card with directions. I look at him and I think he knows me well enough and he said...how would you like it if I rode with you. I jumped at that so in he came and off we went. When we got beyond the Essenhaus turned back south for a few more miles and then back east. I was so glad I had Lester with us. We actually drove by the persons house cause it was so dark. Thankfully Lester recognized it. There would have been no way I would have even been able to see it on my own. This place was Tanglewood Restoration. Glen and Leona with a last name I don't even know. Their address was Goshen. So we looked at the table with flashlights, looked ok, chatted about our farming operation, and headed back to Lester's.

On the way back to Lester's we talked about a lot of things. One thing I found fascinating was his view on Beverly Lewis books. He said..."Her books make it out like all of us are non-believers and that is not so." Yes, they do read out of the bible in High German during their church meetings. But he has a KJV bible he reads out of the old and new testament and he does believe in Christ and his Resurrection. Cool huh!

So we got back home shortly after nine. The boys were just getting home. We made a steak for them, with corn and pickles. Then the ate some of the treats we got earlier in the day from the Bread Box.

Yesterday I trucked and helped move combines.

On to cleaning the house today.

Blessings to you on this fall day~

2 comments:

  1. Lol! Amish stories can be amusing, if you are getting directions from them! We were going to look for some rabbits once, was told by an Amish lady to go to her cousins a few miles away. They said they didn't have any but we could go to their cousins, whom they were pretty sure had some. Nope! They didn't and were given directions to some other family member. Off we headed to no avail. We didn't go to the next suggested home. :D BTW, they all seem to be related. Oh, and while some communities are believers, there are many who are lost. For example, in our area, the Homer Amish appear to be Christians while the Quincy/Bronson are not.

    Stay healthy! :P
    ~Bethany~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myers Family.

    Great job on your blog page! I noticed you are struggling with the H1N1 there as well. We have had several schools shut down at our place too. So far so good in our family. Anna got her shot because she works in the hospital and the kids should get theirs tomorrow.

    Hope to see you again soon.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete