Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Water...water...water

That is what we were dealing with yesterday. About 4 yesterday afternoon Katie and I were in the house and we heard a thud. I was drying a big comforter, so I thought something had dropped off the top, like an empty detergent bottle. After a few minutes I stopped what I was doing because I wanted to start my pizza dough for our evening meal. When I went to the faucet for my water nothing came out. My mind, for some reason, knew exactly what was going on. (We just dealt with the same thing at my parents just months ago...theirs happen in the middle of the night and they woke up to 6" or so in their basement, thankfully it is not a finished basement)

I immediately went downstairs to see water running everywhere. I sent Katie out to get her dad. He came in, flicked the breaker off and the clean up began. It is amazing how much water can come in, in such a short amount of time. The bad part was when it hit the finished area of the basement, soaking the carpeting. As of now...a new water pump has been installed. The old one rusted out. The guy who came says he doesn't see it do that sort of thing very often...just burst from an interior rusting.

We were very fortunate though and had friends come immediately and help with clean-up. The leaders of our small group were the first to arrive. They helped contain the water in the carpeted side and we mopped up and squeegeed what we could. When our friends from the south arrived...they brought one of the biggest wet/dry vacs I have ever seen. Truly it was awesome and did an incredible job. The girls then helped get wood down to the basement that Erik retrieved. Hung up towels around the deck on the back porch and just overall lent a much needed hand. Thank you, thank you to all who helped.

In between this chaos, I got the dough finished and put together the pizza we we ate nearing 7 in the evening. So really not much time in between, but a lot of work took place in the mean time. Doug went and retrieved two electric fans from the fire department. Good to be firefighters and are able to utilize such things. They are high powered fans meant to provide a major draft to blow smoke out of your house after a fire. They are going still in the basement. I may have some discoloration in my carpet, I am still not sure yet...cause things still need to dry.

After just hearing about a family from church who had a devastating house fire. We can thankfully say...it's just a pump, or just carpet and thank God it wasn't more, and that we were here when it happened.

Well I'm off to start washing towels and run the dishwasher.

Be blessed my friends!! : )

2 comments:

  1. Hope everthing dries up well! We were glad to help out....that's what friends are for.

    God bless!

    ~Bethany~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck! Aren't you glad for a small group????

    ReplyDelete